Join Us on Facebook Live (open to the public)
- 8:00am – 10:40am: Live Presentations – Moderator: Noelle Olsen, Commercial Fisheries Research Foundation.
- 1:20 – 2:00 PM: Cooperative Research With Stakeholders – Recent Progress and New Directions – Moderator: Dr. David Bethoney (Commercial Fisheries Research Foundation)
- 2:40 – 4:00 PM: The Role of Local and Regional Fisheries Research in Planning, Assessing, and Mitigating the Impacts of Offshore Wind Energy on the Marine Environment – Moderators: Dr. Lyndie Hice-Dunton and Dr. Mike Pol (Responsible Offshore Science Alliance)
Monday, November 8, is Stakeholder Engagement Day at the 2021 Annual Meeting of the American Fisheries Society. This one-day event allows commercial and recreational fishing and aquaculture industry stakeholders to learn about relevant research, contribute to presentations and panel discussions, and attend an evening networking event with fisheries scientists and managers. Stakeholders who are interested in attending this part of the AFS Annual Meeting are invited to apply for a reduced one-day registration rate of $50 (reduced from the $380 full rate).
Online applications must be submitted by Friday, October 29. Applicants will be notified within two weeks of submission if their application for reduced registration has been approved based on their involvement with the commercial fishing, recreational fishing, or aquaculture industries, as well as their potential involvement with cooperative research or events for Stakeholder Engagement Day. Upon notification, successful applicants will be provided with additional information about Stakeholder Engagement Day. If your application is not approved, you may still attend the meeting at the standard registration rate.
While daily schedules are under development, a preliminary list of the meeting’s symposia highlights the research that will be discussed at the full meeting.
Scientist-Industry Networking Event
Stakeholder Engagement Day attendees will be invited to attend a joint scientist-industry networking event following the meeting. This social will be co-sponsored by the American Institute of Fishery Research Biologists (AIFRB) and other partners. Please keep an eye on this webpage for additional details.
Some scientific and fishing organizations have generously offered financial or other (e.g., merchandise, seafood for networking event) support for Stakeholder Engagement Day to facilitate industry participation. Please reach out to our subcommittee co-chairs if your organization would like to contribute to the success of Stakeholder Engagement Day.
If you have any questions, or would like more information about opportunities to participate in panels, present on your fishery or collaborative research partnership, or potential financial assistance to support your attendance at the meeting, please contact one of the co-chairs (email contact info below) of our subcommittee on Stakeholder Engagement.
Sub-Committee on Stakeholder Engagement
- Max Appelman (NOAA)
- Dave Bard (NOAA Affiliate)
- Mark Chandler (NOAA): [email protected] Co-Chair
- Dr. Willy Goldsmith (American Saltwater Guides Association)
- Catherine Krikstan (NOAA Affiliate)
- David Sikorski (Coastal Conservation Association – Maryland)
- Jeffrey Vieser (NOAA Affiliate): [email protected] Co-Chair
- Dr. Douglas Zemeckis (Rutgers University): [email protected] Co-Chair